Web Engineer / Full Stack / Front End - San Francisco, CA
Overall, my professional experiences have included the following, but certainly not limited to:
- Web applications, web standards, web performance
- Data visualization
- Databases, data storage
- API design, systems architecture
- Strong communication, collaboration, mentor skills
- Experience in IC, management, lead roles
- Open-source community management
- Developer advocacy
The Quid web team transforms million of data points in to beautiful visualizations powered by big-data analytics. As a Senior Software Engineer on the team, my time has been spent building a world-class data visualization platform from scratch. Beginning with a simple search into a seemingly infinite dataset, Quid's users are able to generate rich visualizations and actionable insights that lead to industry influencing decisions. Closely collaborating with Product & UX, I've been heavily involved in building everything from the search interface, to the WebGL visualization engine, the Rails API, and everything in between.
- Was part of a small team that rewrote Quid's Three.js-based visualization engine to a highly performant WebGL engine, built entirely in-house
- Led an initiative to give users the ability to save & restore visualization states, resulting in an ability to export WebGL visualizations to PowerPoint
- Was the UI lead on the Search team, which included a mix of feature development and modernization tasks, integration of React & ES6+
- Gave technical talks for both internal and external audiences to demonstrate Quid's amazing technology platform
- Championed team goals in testing, quality, innovation, effective communication, and developer happiness
- Authored dozens of documents & RFCs detailing proposals, modernizations, and a vision for Quid's future
A few of the projects I led:
- Developed and released the Button component, which is now part of the Pure CSS library.
- Enhanced the ScrollView widget to improve performance, add new functionality, and introduce test coverage.
- Worked on YUI's continuous integration efforts, which included automated testing of functionality, performance, and code quality.
- Advocacy and community efforts, which included over 50 blog posts for the YUI Blog and the YDN blog, as well as representing Yahoo! at various conferences, hackathons, and recruiting events.
Engineer, develop, and maintain Yahoo! Media websites. Products worked on: Yahoo Media, Yahoo Shine, Yahoo TV, Yahoo Movies, Yahoo Entertainment. Act as evangelist for Yahoo! Developer Network.
- Architected & developed social media website mycatholicvoice.com.
- Evaluated and assessed software needs for development tools and web services.
- Interviewed & hired additional in-house development resources and managed development tasks with outsourced & contract resources.
- Developed multimedia transcoding queue and delivery platform for audio, video, images, documents, and downloads.
- Developed REST API interface for interaction with MyCatholicVoice front-end website.
- Designed relational database schema.
- Wrote specifications for development projects.
- Managed advertising platform and designed ad delivery network.
- Customized WordpressMU for use as the MyCatholicVoice Blogging Network.
- Established partnerships with companies such as Rackspace, Limelight Networks, Scribd, & Burst Media.
- Configured & managed development/production servers running on Red Hat Enterprise Edition 4, Ubuntu, and Windows.
- Patent: Network Media Distribution (US20090271283A1)
Technology used: Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, SQS), Linux, Apache, lighttpd, MySQL, PostgreSQL, PHP5, Kohana PHP framework, Code Igniter PHP framework, FFMPEG, jQuery, Memcached, Lucene, & ADODB.
- Develop internal/client web projects & interactive marketing campaigns.
- Traffic analysis reports for client websites & email campaigns.
- Utilize SEO strategies to design search engine optimized websites.
- Maintain & troubleshoot employee computer systems and Linux based servers.
- Develop API clients to transfer data between Gragg and affiliate systems.
Developed user interfaces for Voice over IP services and company intranet. Manage Nuvio's corporate website and 200+ partner websites. Acted as technical contact for Nuvio's engineering department. Designed, developed, & managed web API for remote interaction with between partners and Nuvio systems.
Bachelors degree in Communication Studies
Zend Certified PHP Engineer - Sept 2009
I am a confident speaker with experience in front of both small and large crowds. Along with dozens of public speaking experiences in college as a Communications major, here are some of the formal technical talks I have given.
- 2015-01-20: "Quid - Human Intuition at Superhuman Scale" (YouTube)
- 2012-11-29: "Developing the Future of Yahoo" @ Future of Web Apps in Prague, Czech Republic (HTML)
- 2012-11-14: "ScrollView Deep Dive" @ YUIConf in Santa Clara, CA (YouTube, HTML)
- 2011-11-04: "Why YUI" @ YUIConf in Santa Clara, CA (YouTube, HTML)
- 2010-12-04: "Yahoo Query Language" @ NYTimes Open Hackday in New York City, NY (Slideshare)
- 2010-10-12: "Yahoo Query Language" @ SoCal.js meetup in Pasadena, CA (HTML)
- 2010-05-05: "Yahoo Query Language" @ Music Hackday in San Francisco, CA (HTML)
- 2010-04-21: "Yahoo Query Language" @ Yahoo. (Slideshare)
- 2009-06-16: "Twitter Bootcamp" @ Enterprise Center of Johnson County. (PDF)
- 2009-05-19: "Twitter Bootcamp" @ Enterprise Center of Johnson County.
- 2009-04-21: "Twitter Bootcamp" @ Enterprise Center of Johnson County.
- 2009-02-19: "Twitter Bootcamp" @ Enterprise Center of Johnson County.
I am a strong believer that communities are an important component to generating ideas, sharing knowledge, and acting as a collective voice. Here are some communities of developers and enthusiasts I have helped create.
- StartupKC (2007) - Co-founder. StartupKC is an umbrella group within the KC tech community designed to organize developer events & meetups. Organized events such as BarCampKC, PreDevCamp, StartupWeekend, Highlight Midwest, various "code diving" sessions, and created the StartupKC co-working space.
- Heart of America Soccer Foundation (2002) - Co-founder & COO. Grassroots organization in the greater Kansas City area that was created to advocate the region's viability as a host for world-class professional & amateur soccer.